Sunday, May 4, 2014

     Well, my computer simply quit on me, along with a myriad of other things that has gotten me way behind on the blog posts.  I am hoping to get somewhat updated.  A lot has happened since the last post.  I don't think I will remember all of it, but I will try to highlight some of it.
     For the most part, Ryan has been a busy, busy man.  He has been trying to finish his job in St. George and wrap it up, while at the same time keeping up with all of the happenings at the ranch.  His family still needs him and it has been great because there has been so many Book of Mormon's given away, testimonies about God shared and friends made.  I however, have largely been stuck at home doing a lot of the everyday stuff and missing him.  A week and a half ago, a family that consisted of a single mom with her ten kids showed up at the ranch.  It was on a day that the media had taken some of Cliven's statements, twisted them around, and blew them way out of proportion.  It was actually, I think the first time I have ever felt true depression.  It was completely weird because I couldn't even get up and function.  I was too tired, and so I just slept most of the day, not caring about anything but my sadness.  Anyhow, I happened to notice one of my neighbors on her porch, and I knew that she would be the key to getting me out of my slump.  It just so happens that she lost her youngest daughter last year, and she was crying.  Comforting her made me remember that we are all alive, our family all loves each other, and things really weren't so bad. I was also not the only person with problems. Anyways, back to the family, the Sharp family is their name.  They showed up at the ranch and lifted everyone's spirits with their beautiful singing and upbeat attitude.  They said that the spirit had dictated to them to come and help us, and they obeyed.  They had quite the time coming out, had broke down in Colorado, but hey, they made it right on time.  The kids really latched onto Ryan, and began helping him with ranch chores etc. 
     I went down with the kids a few days later, and was able to meet them all.  Mo got his Sassy feeding and watering needs in, and he also caught a large toad, that we were desperately trying to keep alive from all of his squeezing and prodding.  He also got into the mulberry tree and made a huge mess of his face, smashing and eating mulberries.  A nice lady had come down to the ranch because it was always her dream to ride a horse.  Ryan went down to the corral, and saddled one up for her to ride.  Ryan just happened to set Mo on the saddle, and he refused to get off...REFUSED with much shrieks and squawks.  I finally had to remove him and he bawled and bawled.  I mean come on Mo...are you really going to get in the way of the nice lady and her dream fulfilled?
     As the Sharp's were heading to Colorado in the night, their transmission died in Kanarraville.  Ryan had invited them to stay with us anyway, but the broken van made it completely necessary.  Needless to say, it was quite the experience and adventure having them at our home for 7 days.  They stayed with us 5 days while the transmission was being fixed, and another 2 on their way back through.  Anyhow, I was amazed at how talented they are, they sing and practice their music a lot.  I learned not to expect any hot water for a shower, and just to expect the unexpected from that many kids in that small of a home.  If  I thought we were crowded before....wow.  I felt bad in the morning to stumble over her kids that had to make beds on my kitchen floor. 
     I can honestly say that I was mortified one afternoon.  The Sharp's had borrowed my van to do some shopping.  I was stunned to see my children...Oak and Wazz among others having potater sack races in the front yard.  This would have all been fine and dandy, but they were using some of the Sharp's fine pillowcases.  Needless to say that I roared out the window at them about that one.  Really Wazz???Potater sack races?  Those really are no fun anyway.  I always hated them.
     Chlo and their youngest got along really well the first day.  They fought horribly the rest of the time though.  Mo was an absolute disaster during their whole stay.  So much of their stay was quite enjoyable because I really loved the music, and they actually did a lot of work around my house, but Mo was a wreck.  He bawled and threw fits and kicked and cried.  I seriously about scratched my eyeballs out.  Seriously, Mo was a mess.  I don't know what issues he was having, whether he just couldn't handle the wall to wall people or what.
     They invited a few young men from Montana to come to a prayer meeting that they had planned at the ranch.  One of the young men, his name was Jonah, sat and strummed his guitar one morning while I went about the tasks of keeping up with so many people.  He was an incredible musician.  I could seriously listen to him strum that thing all day.  I thought I was in complete heaven until he sat down at the piano.  Tears sprang to my eyes as he began to play.  Beethoven...my absolute favorite.  He played so many songs that were familiar to me.  I remember most of my childhood days were spent listening to my older brother play Beethoven.  It was seriously such an uplifting experience to hear it played in my own home.  He was incredibly good, and I begged him to just keep playing.  I didn't realize how much I missed someone playing the piano as I went about my day, but I have missed it.  It was such an uplift.  When he finished we talked for quite awhile about classical music.  Beethoven is his favorite too because of all of the emotions he so effectively brings out in his music.  This whole deal with Cliven and the family....one incredible roller coaster ride and that is for sure.
     Apparently the prayer meeting went well.  Oak got really sick and so I was unable to attend.  Jamie also was in a play at the school.  She and her classmates did "The Taming of the Shrew" by William Shakespeare.  Jams was the Shrew, and a great Shrew she made.  However, once again, Mo was not interested in the Shakespeare play and wanted to be removed from the situation.  Oak was making all kinds of outlandish demands about playing in the hall and Chlo was begging to go to the playgrounds.  In a moment of desperation, I noticed that Jams was not currently on stage.  I took my new i-phone, and went backstage.  I pleaded with her to download some kind of distraction for the kids.  Luckily she had a moment and helped me out.  After that I only had Mo to contend with because Oak and Chlo were playing "Temple Run" on my phone.  Rooshkie finally had pity on me and took Mo in the hall.  I was able to enjoy the rest of the play in peace.  Cop out?  Maybe but desperate times....
     The kids have been playing for days in a large culvert that rolls around the front yard.  Seriously, I am not sure where the culvert is supposed to go, but I might not let Ryan have it back.  The kids have rolled around in it, done tricks rolling on it and balancing on it, put water through it, and rolled each other back and forth for days.  Seriously....all day spent in the culvert for Oak and Chlo.  The Sharp kids have joined in too.  I don't know where it came from, but it has been a huge distraction and blessing.  Wazz somehow got a fat lip in it, but other than that no major injuries too.  Who would ever have known?  I was also mad at Rooshkie today.  I asked her to take Mo for a ride in the wagon because this usually will get him down to sleep.  Well, she took him to Ellen Sorenson's and back.  This was way far in her opinion.  Really Rooshkie???Ellen lives next door!  Really, she just wanted to get back in the culvert and roll back and forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment