Sunday, September 20, 2015

     I cannot figure out why I can't get organized, or get it together at all.  Other people seem to be able to function in a somewhat organized manner.  I cannot.  I have lost all of my ability to keep on top of things.  These past few weeks have passed in a blur, and for the past three weeks we cannot, for the life of us, find Chloee's shoes for shrsh.  We also cannot seem to keep on top of all of the endless activities, and demands that is just common to life. 
     For example...next week is drill team tryouts for the middle school.  Rooshkie has all kinds of desires and ambitions to try out.  I am fine with this, and I even attended the parents meeting, which was held a week or two ago.  They passed out athletic packets, which needed to be filled out and returned by....um two days ago.  Yeah, this is how things are continually done.  I had to hurry and try to get her in to get a physical on Saturday because her athletic packet was due last Fridee.  I find myself not doing things the last minute.  I do things after the last minute, and then have to beg for things to be accepted and admitted after the fact.  Anyhow, we went in to the clinic, I had the athletic packet, but the paper that was needed at the clinic, to be filled out by the physician had ripped off of the back (seriously so typical of me!)  So...this left me scrambling.  I ran to the high school with the remote hope that someone would be in their office on a Saturday (no one was).  I called Saggers at the house because, thankfully, I had accidentally left her athletic packet at the house when I took her in to get her physical, which caused me to run up to the high school for another one.  Unfortunately Little Sags had tossed it during her last room cleaning.  I was just beginning to give up hope, when Rooshkie found it, dripping wet and under Wamzerz leaking water bottle.  So...we went to the clinic with a soppy paper, and they filled it out and ignored the fact that it was soggy.  Yep...it is the story of my life always these days.
     Another example of this, is Oak has all sorts of ambitions in the football arena.  Unfortunately, little league tackle football is drawing to a close for the year.  They began their season when we were in the middle of melons, and I just knew that we would be too busy to go.  It was a several night of the week commitment, and I knew it would be too much at the time.  Ryan expects Oak especially to help with melons because he is our oldest boy, and he needs to learn how to work hard.  They have a flag football session starting up, and I figured that he could at least learn the rules of the game, and he begged me over and over and OVER to sign him up.  Well....yep, I didn't get it done until sign ups were over.  I did go and beg, and they let him in.  I am tired of being this way, and I know that melons are largely to blame.  I still remember my bridal shower.  I had invited my Mother in law to be, and my new sister-in-laws to it.  It was right in the middle of melon season, and I remember Carol squirming when I gave her the invite.  They did show up, but they were like two hours late.  We kept stalling and stalling with more and more dumb games because they were on their way.  I just could not figure out at the time, how melons could get in the way of my little event, but I definitely understand now.  Melons have taken over the world as I know it.
     Dilly is now walking everywhere and getting into EVERYTHING.  I realize that this is just part of her learning process, but she is dumping, and sorting, and unloading nonstop.  I cannot keep up, because I am still constantly having to drive the kids all over tarnation with their practices, meetings, and activities.  It sometimes takes me a minute to recover from her unloading sessions.  I noticed last week, that she dumped a package of q-tips and it took me a few days to get to it, because it was in a corner that I just couldn't get to.  Yesterday, she got into a jar of marshmallow cream and went to town eating it.  I watched her dip her little hands into it over and over as she got it all over her little face and hands.  Chlo got herself a dip or two, and claimed that the stuff tasted of "deer heart and marshmallows"  I am not sure how that stuff tasted like deer heart, but I get the 'shmallow taste origins for sure.  My little Dill is learning that is for sure...and making a huge mess in the process.  She also likes to take paper and rip it to shreds.  It is one way that she feels extremely productive.
     Ryan sold a bunch of melons to a company in Vegas that were actually willing to come and pick the melons up right out of the field.  I was concerned because it was 20 bins, and a school day.  Cliven and Carol showed up to help, and our cousin Christopher, who is recently returned off of a mission was there, and another kid from Beaver Dam AZ.  Anyhow, we put Oak on the tractor, Wazz loading boxes and we went to picking.  The biggest problem, is that most of our melons are overripe and ruined.  This means it is a ton more work, because we have to pick every melon, tap it, and chuck it, or put it on the picker if it is good.  9 times out of 10, it is no good.  It was a long day to say the least.  And quite disheartening.  Anyhow, when my older kids got out of school, they came and began helping us.  Sags was all sorts of disgruntled about all of the melons to be picked, and she was way annoyed with everything Rooshkie was doing.  She complained and complained about Rooshkie.  Finally, Christopher mentioned a talk given by Elder Uchtorf about complaining that she should listen to.  I agreed readily that she should listen to the speech.  She quickly shot back with a retort about Elder Uchtdorf's talk about being annoying that Jerusha should definitely listen to.  I looked at her quizzically because I could not recall a speech about avoiding the annoyance of others.  Yep...Sags is quick....I love her sense of humor.  She seems to have gotten "the glass is half-full" attitude that Cliven often has, but she also got the Huntington sense of humor.  Seriously, hilarious a lot of the time.  Rooshkie spent most of her time dancing and flitting about the melon field.  They were doing the odd "whip and nae nae" song that came out recently.  Christopher mentioned that his sister made him watch the video when he returned home, and that it was a huge waste of three minutes of his time.  Of course, this made Sags and Rooshkie whip and nae nae even more.  I have to laugh at Rooshkie too because she likes to put rotten melons on the conveyor for Wams to deal with as she loads the bins.  I find it so hilarious to see a rotting melon set with all of the other nice ones rolling slowly down the conveyor to Wams.  Just some of the ways that we have made the melon field fun.
     Another thing that I love in the melon field is when the evening falls.  When the sun goes down, everything cools off, and the bats come out.  I get a big kick out of watching the bats.  They swoop around and eat bugs, and it is almost mesmerizing.  Anyhow, I mentioned to the kids that I was really looking forward to the bats coming out.  Rooshkie gave me a sidelong glance and told me that if bats were the highlight of my day, then she felt really sorry for me.  Bats have become a very enjoyable part of my day though.  When the bats come out, I know that my work day is done.  It is a very satisfying and enjoyable part of the melon field.  I like the bats.
     Today has been a crazy and busy Sundee.  We have also been taking care of Grandma since yesterday morning.  This means that Ryan was at Grandma's and I had to get all of the kids ready alone this morning.  Dilly was way forlorn without her Dad.  She has gotten way attached to Ryan, and must have her Daddy time.  Anyhow, she whined and bawled as I tried to get everyone ready.  To top it all off, Wams had to go to some soils convention for FFA today.  She also had to go to Moapa to a farewell, and so the morning was especially busy for her.  Because she has an injured arm, I had to curl her hair for her, and Dilly was not down with it.  I finally asked Oak to take care of her.  He promptly sat her on the floor and began spinning around and around on his knees.  This stopped her crying and she was entertained for a moment.  I was struck for a minute about the difference in my boys and girls.  When I hand the Dill off to Wazz or Sager, they soothe her, or try to feed her in some manner.  They hold her close and love her better.  Oak, on the other hand tries to make her happy by entertaining her in some way.  Often it is in some loud, and horrid noise that makes the rest of us all cringe.  This morning the spinning on the knees thing, made Dill all sorts of happy.  I love my little Oaker  boy.  He is great.
     Jerusha has become smitten with a boy at school.  He apparently feels likewise about her because when the school interviewed him about his favorite person, he mentioned Jerusha Bundy.  He also sat by her on the bus that day....yep, I see a romance starting.  It better be nothing more than admiring each other from afar, but anyway...when it came time to pick melons I was supposed to pick her up after school, but was of course...late.  She got on the bus, which made me go on a crazy chase after the bus.  I finally caught up at one of the stops, and crazily ran onto the bus carrying a melon to bribe the bus driver with.  I didn't have to explain...he asked me if I needed Jerusha to help in the melon patch.  She was on the back seat, not looking too happy about the fact that I was on her bus, muddy, and holding a melon in a crazy manner.  And she wasn't too excited about picking melons, and leaving a cute boy who had the courage to sit by her.  All I can say is...get used to it Rooshkie my love...I will be embarrassing you until the end of time.




No comments:

Post a Comment