Sunday, September 20, 2015

     Well, we are back in the rhythm of school, activities, and homework.  Plus, we are trying to sell as many melons as possible, which puts Ryan and I in the melon field with the babies a lot.  Mo is down with the melon field, but Dilly gets pretty frustrated.  All we have to do for Mo is crack open a melon.  He will just sit and dig in it with his fingers, and pretty much eat the whole thing.  One night we had all of the kids and Arden out picking, and Mo got whiney.  We busted a melon open for him, and I will never forget looking back at his little blond head, poking up out of the melon vines, as the night surrounded us.  His little blondness became harder and harder to see, but I knew he was content to just sit and eat his melon.  Dill usually gets set in the bin as we pick, and I just think that she is sick of the confinement of it all.  We even had Mo "drive" the melon picker the other morning.  Anyway, he thought he was driving, which made him feel pretty important.
     I would also like to take note of how much family has stepped in and helped us in our time of need.  Carol and Cliven have spent a lot of time helping us harvest, and they have done all that they can to offer suggestions, and assistance in selling wherever we can.  I was at the end of my rope one day, and I had to run to St George to get Chlo-bird's birth certificate so that she could start kindergarten.  I also had a bajillion other things that needed to get done, and I was feeling a ton of pressure.  Sags came in and informed me that she also had volleyball pictures that day.  It was seriously the last straw that I couldn't take any more.  I tearfully called Bailey (whom I know is extremely busy herself) and just asked if she could possibly run Sager in for pictures, because I couldn't be in St George and her ride for pictures...of course I had also waited to get the birth certificate until the very last minute too.  Anyhow, she not only ran Saggers to pictures, but she came and cleaned my house as well, leaving dinner on the table...that I might add, gave me dinner for several days.  I will always remember all of those people who are always so willing and ready to assist us all the time. Arden has also been so good to come and help us, when I know there are tons of things he would rather be doing.  I love my family, and I love my Bundy's.  I am very blessed.
     Sags has had several games, and seems to enjoy being on the volley ball team.  I have gone to all of her home games, and she has won one, and lost one.  She has another home game on Thursdee.  I was proud to watch her score a few points, and scared when she missed a few.  Man...it is a lot of pressure, and I am not even the one on the court!  She has come a long way with her skills though.  I am happy for her.
     We also celebrated Jamie's sixteenth birthday.  Wow...I cannot believe she is really 16.  Anyhow, she wanted a swimming party, and we congregated at Bunker's pond for awhile, and then the kids played night games.  I encouraged some of Rooshkie's friends to try to scare Wams back that evening, but I don't think it really happened.  She said it was a lot of fun, and she is pretty low key...I am grateful for this, because I have plenty of kids who aren't. 
     We had our first home football game the other night, and it was great to watch Wams perform with the drill team.  I was really proud of her.  One of her dance friends got injured during the routine though, and unfortunately, she knocked her knee cap out of place, and is more than likely done for the season.  Arden also killed it on the field by sacking the quarter back, and scoring a touch down.  Because he threw the ball in his excitement, they threw a penalty at him, and because the team was easily winning he was pulled out of the game at that point.  I will never forget my Arden boy carrying the water to all of his teammates with his pads, his jersey, and his cowboy boots.  I love that guy.  He is a ton of fun.  Mo was also a fiasco at the game, and so was Dill.  I also learned that most of the children in town, spend the time of the game, rolling down the hills near the bleachers.  Chlo engaged in this activity for the most part.  She also found that all of the grass on the hill was a bit dry, and all of the bits of dry grass ended up making her itch for the rest of the evening.  In my opinion the whole rolling down the hill thing is overrated, and is not as fun as it looks.  Usually the kids end up rolling sideways, and they usually end up with a confused, and unpleasant, dizzy look on their face.  Mo would run around and around the bleachers, only pausing to demand a drink of Volleyball water.  I still don't know what volleyball water is.  I would understand if I had taken him to Saggers games, and gotten him a drink at the fountain near the gym, but I always opted to leave him home during the volleyball games.  I had a hard enough time keeping Dilly off of the court, I don't want to even think about what Mo is capable of.  I do know that Volleyball water is not any kind of water out of a water bottle.  I offered several water bottles to him, only to have him decline, and insist on Volleyball water.  He was also wearing nothing but bib overalls and I heard a few snide remarks about his apparel from the cheerleaders.  But, Ryan seemed proud of the fact that he was officially a farm boy, and looked the part.
     After the game, and a small fiasco of misplacing Mo temporarily, Wams wanted to stay after the game and go to the "Stomp."  I had no idea what a stomp was, but I guessed that it must be a fun, and rowdy dance.  I readily agreed, but Ryan wanted her to come home.  He did finally agree to let her stay, but reluctantly.  We should have listened to him, because instead of going to the "Stomp" which had either been cancelled, or there never was one scheduled, she ended up at the Bunker's house jumping on their trampoline.  She fell off, and tried to catch herself by straightening her arms to catch her weight.  This ended up dislocating her elbow, and she was just extremely lucky that it wasn't broken.  Ryan ended up taking her to the Emergency Room in St George where it was X-rayed and set back into place.  She was in a ton of pain, and cried way more than I had seen her cry in a long time.  The good thing is, it isn't broken, and it will take some time to heal, but not 6 weeks like we feared when she left.  I figured she was done with drill team for sure.
     The next day, we had the Dave Bundy Reunion out at Nay's Ranch.  We had a hard time pulling it together and getting out there for some reason.  I just seem to be able to get through each day, and planning ahead is out of the question.  When the kids were little, and we had a reunion, I would pack for days, but I just don't have that luxury anymore.  Wams, was stiff, and sore, she and Ryan had both been up all night, and were extremely tired.  We did finally pack up on Saturday evening, and head out to Nay's.  We got there right at dusk, and dinner was still being served.  I must admit that I was a little bit crabby about setting up beds.  We were so ill equipped it wasn't even funny.  I had checked the forecast, and there was no remote chance of rain, anywhere in the vicinity.  But, I hated putting my babies to bed in the dirt.  All of the grassy spots were taken, which is no surprise, because we were the last ones out there.  I finally got to work, trying to set up some beds in the dark.  Luckily, Hailey Allen invited Wams and Sags to sleep in her tent with her (yeah!) and Wazz and some other secret cousin friends had decided to sleep down in a grassy area by the house.  Ryan had thrown us out a bed on a flattish area, which left Mo, Chlo, Oak, and Rooshkie...of course Dill was all about sleeping by Mom and Dad.  Anyhow, Ryan had hauled a bunch of melons out in a bin.  I quickly unloaded those and made Mo and Chlo a bed in the melon bin.  I then made Rooshkie a bed on the truck bed, and Oak slept on a table.  The reunion was great fun.  I always enjoy the spirit at testimony meeting, and one of Ryan's cousins had returned that week from a mission.  Anyhow, the next night, we all went to bed and there was a full-on down pour.  It poured rain like I had never imagined.  We literally had nothing to keep us dry.  Mo awoke in his melon box to water pouring in on his little bed.  Needless to say, that I felt like a horrible and irresponsible parent at that moment.  I told Ryan, that we would no longer camp without a tent of some sort.  How many times does this have to happen to us?  I will never forget Scott Sessions crawling out of his tent to help us.  Ryan did have a pop up canopy that he set up over our bed.  We also scrounged up a few tarps from people, and Scott even gave his dry bag to Jazz and Oak who were soaked.  We all ended up huddling under the pop up canopy on one bed in the end...seriously a horrible night.  Ryan had offered to haul the trailer out there, and man...I wish we would have done that.  Oh well...this will motivate us to be more prepared next time.  No more bill board tarps, or logs falling on faces.  I want a normal tent like a normal family. 
     Since the reunion, we have had some interesting days for sure.  Dilly is now walking more than she is crawling which makes me a little sad.  She and Mo have gotten to where they play pretty good together, but he will shove her for no good reason every now and again.  He stole a crown that Jazzerz had received at a church activity and was sporting it around.  He claimed to be the king and all of that.  I asked him what I was and he informed me that girls cannot be kings, because girls can only be kingdoms....got it Mo.
     Mo has kind of struggled with being home without a ton of siblings to entertain him.  I have also been surprised at his abilities to entertain himself for long spurts.  He will take a few matchbox cars, and quietly play all afternoon.  He will also take big lego type blocks, put a longer block on top, call them horses, and play with his "horses" for hours too.  Yesterday had been a really long and quiet day because Dill had taken an extra long nap.  When Rooshkie got home, Mo was all kinds of eager to play with someone.  I was very impressed with the way that she handled him.  She is twelve and not into playing little kid stuff any more (which makes me really sad, because her imagination was the best at keeping everyone entertained).  Anyhow, she walked in the door, and he immediately came running over to her, and begged her to read a stack of books to him.  She immediately sat down, and read all of the books.  Then he begged her to go and play with him upstairs.  She followed him up the stairs where he produced two pairs of Ryan's work gloves.  He was so excited as he told her that they were now able to slap with the gloves.  "Yeah!  We can just slap, slap, and slap!"  He said enthusiastically.  She put on the gloves and clapped around with him for awhile.  At that point my little Chlo-bird came home, and she was all up for playing with Mo.  This made me smile too, because for awhile there, she was way too cool to play with him.  Kindergarten made her hotsy totsy there for awhile. 
     Mo also befriended a rock one day, and named it Robert.  He played with Robert for awhile, and when we went to get Sags he really wanted Robert to come.  I must say, that I didn't trust Mo with Robert in the car.  He has a tendency to want to throw rocks, and I didn't want my windshield broken, or anyone beaned in the head with Robert.  I was very surprised when he chucked Robert out the window and left  him with no regrets or remorse.  Poor Robert...cast aside, like other such rubbish.  Just this morning, Mo went out with the elementary kids to wait for the bus.  He chucked a mud ball at the bus, but from my vantage point it looked like a rock....he swears up and down that it was only a mud ball....either way, I will not be letting him wait for the bus with the kids any more.  Mo also bawled and whined in the store because he wanted a set of golf clubs.....ummmmmm, not happening my friend.  Golf is an extremely expensive and time consuming sport, that I will not be supporting you in at this current time.
     We also have had some problems with Chlo being driven to do homework.  I am sure it is just because school started, and she is eager to learn, and to please, but we had some trouble when Oak's homework turned up missing.  We could not find it, until, of course the last minute.  The missing homework ended up being with Chloee's stuff.  She had made a great attempt to do Oak's homework, but she did not understand his difficult math problems ( I mean hello, they are still learning their numbers for crying out loud)  All of her answers were wrong, which had Oak all upset.  We finally found an eraser, and erased all of Chlo's math work.  Oak was way mad at her, but really, she is just trying to be a good student, and make her way.  A little forgiveness is in order, I believe.



No comments:

Post a Comment