Monday, May 7, 2018

     I need to discuss the miracles that led up to Ryan's release.  It was a complete miracle that took months and months, and many key individuals.
     We were about ready to start trial, and they were working on jury selection.  At the same time, the judge had granted some evidentiary hearings concerning Dan Love.  He had gotten in trouble at Burning Man, and was under investigation.  Because of that, Ryan Payne's attorney had filed a motion to question him.  For whatever reason, she granted it.  Some of those hearings were held in secret.  I would travel to court daily, only to sit in the hall most of the day.  Many things were being revealed in those hearings.  But, in a public hearing that I was able to attend, was where really Ryan was able to pull the string that started crashing the case.
     Basically, the defense was trying to prove that Dan Love and company had withheld and destroyed evidence.  There were many witnesses trying to refute that claim, all of them BLM agents.  Dan Love was included in that.  Anyhow, Ryan always asked every witness if they knew of a camera that was facing the ranch house.  All of them denied it, even though we all knew that there had been one.  I was getting somewhat annoyed with Ryan for asking.  Why would he continue to try when they were all just trained liars?  Anyhow, one of the witnesses must not have gotten the memo, because she admitted that the Bundy home was under surveillance, and that they had watched those live feeds from their trailer.  It was quiet as the defense attorney's and defendants stared in unbelief.  Brett Whipple about came unglued.  Obviously the Government had withheld evidence, and they had been lying for a long time.  Through many secret hearings, the case came crashing down.  In January, to save face for the Government.  The judge dismissed the case.  A whistle blower from the BLM actually came out with a memo, and blew the lid on much of the corruption.  The Wooten letter wasn't even addressed in the dismissal.  We were so excited to get all of the men home.  Unfortunately, the indictment was not dismissed, and we still have men who took pleas, or were convicted still in jail.  We are still sick about that, and trying to do much to do get them released. 
     Ryan was the first to get out pretrial.  I still remember how I felt that day...deer in the headlights is the best way I can describe it.  Ryan had put enough pressure on the judge that she allowed another detention hearing. I took all of the kids down and they sat there all day long.  I was really proud of them.  I felt that she might actually let him out.  She began talking about a schedule where he could even come home for Thanksgiving and Christmas...and at the last minute, because of some lies the Prosecutors told about an arrest that took place with Ryan in Cedar, she denied him at the last minute.  It was completely heartbreaking.  Jazz seriously sobbed loudly all the wasy home, her heart clearly shattered.  I was so mad at the judge and her insensitivity to my children I couldn't even focus or deal. 
     Ammon was set to have a detention hearing the next Monday.  Lisa flew in, and I was really hoping that they might let Ammon out.  We ended up in the hall once again, most of the day.  When we were finally allowed back in, a marshal pulled me aside, and took me in a room at the back of the courtroom.  He explained that the judge had decided to let my husband out pretrial.  I figured he had me mixed up with Lisa because she had already denied Ryan's release the previous week.  I explained that I was married to Ryan...not Ammon.  He explained again, that the judge had agreed to let Ryan out.  I literally could not believe it.  I had been without my husband for so long, and had dreamed about actually touching him again, for almost two years at that point.  I couldn't wrap my brain around what he was telling me.  Apparently, in one of those closed hearings, Morgan Philpot, and Rick Koerber, had located the arrest that had taken place in Cedar that the judge was holding Ryan on.  They were able to show the lies the prosecutors told.  The judge agreed she couldn't continue to hold Ryan.  I was so excited and really just couldn't believe it.  We went outside to wait.  All of the sudden, he needed clothes, and a cowboy hat.  I sent Aunt Lily after a cowboy hat.  I just couldn't believe it.  I sent family over to the house to get the kids.  Sarah Redd called Sage, and she was in totoal shock too.  She was crying, and so excited.  The kids were rounded up, by Bailey and Ivona and were on their way. 
     So, I hear he is out and on the other side of the courthouse...I ran.  To touch him, and feel him, and kiss him...I cannot even describe it.  I was whole again.  I got to ride in Maysoun's car with him to the halfway house he was assigned to.  At about that time the kids arrived.  We got to hug him, and hold him, and reunite as a family.  However, the halfway house allowed no visitors, and we had to leave almost immediately.
     In the subsequent days and weeks, Ryan was allowed to go to Tayna and Blake's and eventually he was allowed to come home for Thanksgiving.  I cannot help but just smile as I think of all of that.  It was nothing short of a miracle. I  loved shopping for our Thanksgiving dinner.  It had a smaller crowd than normal, but to have my husband back, where we were all together, was the greatest thing ever.  Christmas was also a huge blessing.  In January, when all charges were dropped, and ankle monitor's came off, it was nothing short of a miracle.  Freedom at last.  Well, at least the limited freedom that we were used to. 







No comments:

Post a Comment